2013: year 0
September, 1st 2013 in Chamonix. 8 famous trail running Race Directors decide to group together within a unique circuit in order to “share and promote the values of this sport”.
Led by the UTMB® and the Marathon des Sables, the most known trail running races, the Ultra-Trail® World Tour wants to be the best proposition of over 100-km races in the world.
A few RDs of the Ultra-Trail World Tour and elite runners during UTMB 2013
2014: A remarkable first year
The program finally includes 10 races for the first season of the Ultra-Trail® World Tour in 2014.
- Vibram® Hong Kong 100 (China)
- The North Face® Transgrancanaria (Spain)
- Vibram® Tarawera Ultramarathon (New Zealand)
- Marathon des Sables (Morocco)
- Ultra Trail Mt. Fuji® (Japan)
- The North Face® 100 Australia (Australia)
- The North Face® Lavaredo Ultra Trail (Italy)
- The Western States 100 Mile Endurance Run (USA)
- The North Face® Ultra-Trail du Mont-Blanc® (France, Italy, Switzerland)
- La Diagonale des Fous (Reunion Island, France)
* The races names are those used in 2014 and have potentially evolved since, due to the change of sponsors.
A few RDs of the Ultra-Trail World Tour during UTMB 2014
The best runners are there. The Frenchman François D’Haene and the Spanish Nuria Picas win the general ranking after an amazing season.
Nuria Picas and François D’Haene, winners of the Ultra-Trail World Tour 2014 – photo: Pascal Tournaire
More info about the circuit.
2015: Regularity pays off
For the 2nd edition the Ultra-Trail World Tour welcomes 2 new races: the Eiger Ultra-Trail® (Switzerland) and Madeira Island Ultra-Trail® (Portugal). The latter is a FUTURE race, meaning it does not award points to runners for the general ranking.
15.000 runners from 82 different countries take part to one of the races, more than 600 of them running at least 2 races and being thus officially ranked for the UTWT title.
Nuria Picas retains her title. For the men, the ultra runner Antoine Guillon wins, after finishing 5 races of the circuit during the year!
The RDs family of the Ultra-Trail World Tour 2016 – photo: Alexis Berg